[CCWG-ACCT] A matter of timing

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Jun 25 19:13:53 UTC 2015

Hi all

A couple of people have asked me to share what I said in the Public Forum
on our work just now, so for those interested the transcript is below.

It's basically urging us all to be really clear about our bottom lines as
we go into this next phase, because there is now a very strong expectation
that we can - and must - deliver a proposal that can be signed off by
chartering organisations in Dublin.

If we don't make that deadline, in my opinion we delay the transition and
put it at risk.

That's going to require compromise. And so knowing what the bottom lines
are - really are - is important. It's the only way to work through to a
consensus outcome.

Hope you have a great trip back, those of you who have been attending face
to face!

cheers
Jordan

I JUST WANTED TO SAY TWO THINGS, REALLY.

ONE IS THANK YOU TO THE COMMUNITY FOR THE WIDE RANGE OF WELL-EXPRESSED,
PASSIONATELY EXPRESSED VIEWS ON THE ACCOUNTABILITY TOPICS OF THIS MEETING.
WHEN YOU LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENED JUST AT THIS MEETING, IT'S FELT A BIT
HEAVY AT TIMES, BUT THE -- THINGS FEEL CLEARER TO ME, I THINK, AS ONE OF
THE PARTICIPANTS [who] IS GOING TO HAVE TO TRY AND HELP US GET A FINAL
DRAFT PROPOSAL READY FOR PUBLIC COMMENT IN THE NEXT FIVE WEEKS. WHICH ISN'T
INTIMIDATING DEADLINE AT ALL.

BUT THE SECOND POINT I WANTED TO MAKE FROM THE FEEDBACK HERE AND
[recognising] THE LINKS [with - was FROM] THE CWG NAMES PROPOSAL IS THAT
THE DUBLIN DEADLINE IS NOT AN OPTIONAL DEADLINE. WE HAVE TO GET THERE IN
DUBLIN. WE HAVE TO HAVE A CHARTERING ORGANIZATION SIGN-OFF IN DUBLIN.

AND THAT MEANS THAT OVER THE NEXT 15 WEEKS OR SO, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HAVE
TO COMPROMISE. YOU KNOW, WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DO THE WORK TO COME UP WITH
A GOOD MODEL. SO ALL I WANT TO SAY IS THAT UNLESS WE WANT TO DISRUPT THE
TRANSITION AND SLOW IT DOWN BY A NUMBER OF MONTHS, THAT'S AN OBLIGATION
THAT WE ALL HAVE.

SO MY REQUEST ISN'T OF THE BOARD. IT'S OF EVERYONE WHO IS PARTICIPATING IN
THESE DISCUSSIONS, WHICH IS TO GO AWAY AND BE REALLY CLEAR ABOUT WHAT YOUR
BOTTOM LINES ARE.

AND BE REALLY CLEAR THAT IF THERE'S A SET OF BOTTOM LINES THAT CAN'T BE MET
BY A COMPROMISE PROPOSAL, THE THING THAT WE'RE RISKING IS NOT [taking] MORE
TIME ON ACCOUNTABILITY. THE THING THAT WE RISK IS THE TRANSITION PROCEEDING
ON TIME OR EVEN POTENTIALLY AT ALL.

SO I THINK IT'S JUST A SOBERING NOTE THAT I'D LIKE TO MAKE, REALLY. GO
BACK, THINK REALLY, REALLY HARD. THANK YOU.

[APPLAUSE ] >>SUZANNE WOOLF: THANK YOU, JORDAN

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *