[CCWG-ACCT] FYI - Public Comment on AoC and Organizational Reviews

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Jun 29 14:07:21 UTC 2015

Hi,

I do not believe that stalling all, or perhaps any, of the reviews is a
good idea.

Most important to the work of this group, ATRT3 is scheduled for next
year, though not even mentioned in the schedule.  I believe it is
critical that this review happen.  Not only do we need to find out what
is happening with the ATRT2 recommendations, and the still pending ATRT1
recommendations, we need to set a baseline for the transition.  A
cursory glance at the status of ATRT2 recommended changes
*<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/atrt2-recommendation-implementation-02apr15-en.pdf>
* indicates that there is not only a necessity to make sure that the
Staff has correctly interpreted the recommendations, but to ensure that
the changes are being made.

Additionally I think that since the AOC reviews are based on an
agreement, any decsion for postponing any of them will need to be done
with NTIA buy in.  I do not beleive we should unilaterally postpone, as
that might be seen as abrogating the existing agreement on
accountability.  How then should we be beleived on future commitments?

As for the Bylaws based reviews, as they are driven by the Board, I
suppose the Board has the ability to just abrogate the bylaws if it
decides they need to be.  As this is something we seem to frown upon in
this accountability work, we might won't to carefully consider the
implications of a) moving more reviews into the bylaws, and b) the
ability to work around the bylaws when convenient.

I do not believe that avoiding current accountability mechanisms is a
good tool for establising stronger accountability.

avri