[CCWG-ACCT] Declaration issued in the Booking.com v ICANN IRP

Chris LaHatte chris.lahatte at icann.org
Wed Mar 4 04:32:24 UTC 2015

The important issue arising is in 2 parts. Accountability and a general
sense is already being fully discussed. However the more difficult issue is
designing a dispute resolution system which has the flexibility to discuss
the issues graphically illustrated by this case. Do we want to set up a
quasi-judicial system within ICANN with a level of review or appeal? Should
we try and harmonise all of the existing review systems so that there is a
common procedure and a review/appeal level? There are many ad hoc panels,
some barely used and others heavily used. One of the purposes of such a
quasi-judicial tribunal/appeal system is that there are independent
arbitrators/review panels who can make objective decisions, as I suspect the
Independent Review Panel wanted, in the .hotel case. I don't think this has
been greatly discussed so far.

Chris LaHatte
Ombudsman
Blog  https://omblog.icann.org/