[CCWG-ACCT] Legal question

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Fri May 1 17:42:07 UTC 2015

Hi Avri,

I share some of your same questions.

In terms of whether other components of an SO/AC would become Uas, that would really be a decision up to them.  It would not be anything that is necessitated under the Bylaws or the structure.  As I understand the advice to date, those that we wish to identify as members in the Bylaws need to form a UA.  For each of those groups, there may be other concerns that would drive the need for an "alter ego" UA as a companion to the policy or advisory work of the SO/AC, but I don't know that it's required - it's the proposed solve to allow those groups to get to member status.

If there are other groups within ICANN (such as the IPC, or a RALO, or the NCSG, for example) that think that they'd get some benefit from being a UA, that would not be because of any benefit provided under the Bylaws or membership structure.

In short, you need to be a UA (or other legal entity) to be a member, but forming a UA separately does NOT equal membership status.

Hope this helps more than confuses the situation.

Sam