[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: Edits due in 3h: V10 DRAFT for your review by 2 May at 01:00 UTC

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Sun May 3 18:50:59 UTC 2015

Tijani,

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I respectfully disagree, though, with
your assertion that 'private sector' in the context of ICANN's governing
documents equates to business. It does not.

I think it is important to emphasis that ICANN currently is defined, as
Avri and I and others have pointed out,  in it's Bylaws and in the AOC as a
private sector led multi-stakeholder organization. The ICANN you are "proud
of" is one defined in this way. I would question the need to change that
which by your own admission works. I would fear that those outside the
community, those whose goodwill we need to finalise the transition, would
question the removal of the word 'private'. I believe some would ask
whether this was an attempt to leave open the future possibility of a
'public sector led multi-srtakeholder model.' If I were not personally
involved in this process it certainly would be a question I would ask and
probably would do so in a pejorative way. I see no reason in the current
context of things to change the status quo.

Ed