[CCWG-ACCT] [ccnso-members] about the CCWG 30-day comment period

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Wed May 6 14:19:28 UTC 2015

It's a good reminder of why ICANN needs better accountability mechanisms . . .

>The public comment announcement includes the
>remark "Because this (first) Public Comment
>period is less than the required 40-day minimum,
>it has been approved by two ICANN Global
>Leaders." The term Global Leaders is a reference
>to senior members of the ICANN staff and the
>condition was created to ensure that a check
>existed so that a single ICANN department would
>not depart from the standard default time period
>without broader senior staff input.  The public
>comment guidelines and procedures are available
>on the public wiki
>https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=48344695

ICANN staff are not a sufficient check on other
ICANN staff - it's pretty simple. ICANN staff
work for ICANN, obviously, and are, obviously,
beholden to it (s they should be, as
employees).  They will do - or try to do - what
they ultimately think the corporation (i.e., the
Board) wants, because their jobs are dependent on
that.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with that
- but to think of it as a "check" on pressure to
depart from the required 40-day comment period is pretty deeply flawed.

David

At 09:18 AM 5/6/2015, Roelof Meijer wrote:
>I am wondering: when Adam writes ³we² our group seems to think he means
>³ICANN staff².
>I do not think ICANN staff has set our time table. I read Adam¹s "You will
>remember this has been our intention since we discussed planning in
>Istanbul, and we concluded this discussion on the CCWG call of 30 April.²
>as us, the CCWG, deciding on it.
>
>Completely off-topic, but so ridiculous that I cannot help myself: if
>ICANN senior staff are now described as ³ICANN GlobalLeaders², what would
>that make its CEO? ICANN Leader of the Universe? OMG...
>
>Cheers,
>
>Roelof
>

>On 06-05-15 00:04, "J. William Semich" <bill at nunames.nu> wrote:
>

> >I agree with Dr. Lisse 100%.
> >
> >ICANN staff must not set the timetables for any consensus process. Nor
> >should any committee (co-)chairs.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Bill Semich
> >.NU Domain
> >
> >On May 5, 2015, at 5:11 PM, Dr Eberhard W Lisse <el at lisse.NA> wrote:
> >

> >> So,
> >>
> >> now ICANN staff decides what comment period is acceptable.
> >>
> >> Outrageously unacceptable and objected to.
> >>
> >> I am still waiting for the response to my request to be provided with
> >>the notes or emails where this was discussed and approved by the CCWG.
> >>
> >> el
> >>
> >> --
> >> Sent from Dr Lisse's iPad mini

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music
http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic  publications