[CCWG-ACCT] Question regarding UAs

Chris Disspain ceo at auda.org.au
Tue May 19 05:13:36 UTC 2015

Jordan,

> that the only way they can make decisions is on the resolution of the relevant SO or AC council.

In the same way that one needs a legal entity to be able to force ICANN to abide by its bylaws in a court, one needs a legal entity to force the UA to abide by its rules. So although the rules of the UA may say that it can only make decisions based on the resolution of the relevant SO (just like ICANN’s fundamental bylaws will say ICANN can only do X if the SOs/ACs agree) the SO cannot itself enforce that rule.

As I understand it, since the SO would not be a legal entity, the SO cannot make the UA abide by its rules. Thus, using the simplest case as an example, where the UA has a single member (the Chair of the SO as Alan has suggested) and that member started to not abide by the rules then the SO would need to use an agreed mechanism to replace the Chair as member. And if the Chair refused to stand aside as member then the ‘new chair’ would have to bring proceedings against the him/her and have a court order that the the ‘correct’ member is the ‘new chair’.

I think I’ve got that right but stand to be corrected.

Cheers,

Chris