[CCWG-ACCT] Question regarding UAs

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu May 21 08:21:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

I just want to add that even some of us US citizens are very wary of
giving US courts any say over ICANN.  I have never seen a court that I
would trust.  And well dealing with something as unique as the ICANN
multistakeholder model, I would be surprised to find a court that could
be trusted to understand.

Is there any way to add a clause that indicates a binding
arbitration/mediation, perhaps an international binding
arbitration/mediation would be the required escalation point?

avri

On 21-May-15 08:36, Chris Disspain wrote:

> I believe that the threat of ICANN collapsing would be enough to
> convince an ICANN Board, put there by the community, and that very
> same community to get together and solve the issues between them. You
> believe that that is not enough and that there should be an option for
> that whole community to have a Californian court step in.
>
> I believe that the contortions required to turn ICANN into a
> membership organisation are incredibly complicated and disempowering
> to non-US members of the community. You disagree.

---