[CCWG-ACCT] Question regarding UAs

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Thu May 21 14:06:40 UTC 2015

All,

Like several others, I believe we’re over-complicating things.

This discussion is about giving the ICANN community standing to be able to challenge Board decisions in court, as a measure of last resort. Without that standing, the Board is free to ignore or reject the will of the community and the rest of our existing and proposed accountability mechanisms are only advisory.

Unless a court can order a board to take an action, or stop taking an action, or determine if the board acted improperly, then there is no real accountability because there is no ultimate power to compel corrective action. The problem right now with ICANN is that no one in the community has standing to go to court. Under a membership model, members will have standing, similar to the standing shareholders have in a typical public company. Currently, as Ed correctly outlined in his email below, the Attorney General of the State of California has standing, but we the ICANN community do not.

As such, I don’t understand claims that securing community powers (our goal) through legal enforceability and membership (as mechanisms to deliver that goal) somehow disenfranchises non-US ICANN participants, or how legal enforceability, in the words of auDA, “would also serve to further concentrate power in the United States.”  A membership structure that gives the ICANN community standing and legal recourse in ICANN’s current jurisdiction would actually enhance and expand the role of the global multi-stakeholder community, not diminish it from today’s status quo.

I find suggestions that membership and legal recourse are somehow threatening to non-US residents to be misguided or misplaced. As established in its current bylaws and articles of incorporation, ICANN is headquartered in California and is already subject to California law. Why shouldn’t the community have standing under ICANN’s existing jurisdiction to challenge Board decisions, as a measure of last resort? If I’m missing something, I’m happy to be educated further, but I don’t see those US-centric claims as having any factual basis.

Regards,
Keith