[CCWG-ACCT] interplay between 'old' and 'new' IRPs

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Thu May 21 23:09:13 UTC 2015

There is a practical issue on determining retroactivity – how far back does it go?  Is it only on standards for review, or does it also include the method of review (ex: would a pending IRP that already has a panel in place then have to start anew before the “new” IRP panel?)  At what point would application of different standards be something that could be detrimental to parties within an ongoing IRP (such as those that have expended large amounts of money on counsel arguing to one standard, only to be required to move to another?)  If there would be more time required for the existing IRPs to reach conclusion because of retroactive application, how are the interests of those who are the other impacted parties (such as competing applicants for new gTLD strings) considered in any additional time requirements? I’m not expressing an opinion either way (retroactivity or not) but just raise these as issues of concern as we look at the retroactive/nonretroactive issue.