[CCWG-ACCT] Question regarding UAs

Chris Disspain ceo at auda.org.au
Fri May 22 06:55:28 UTC 2015

Hi Edward,

> I understand your concern and believe it is a valid one. However, I feel compelled to point out that since it's inception the ultimate authority over ICANN has, in fact, been the State of California and it's executive, legislative and judicial systems.  Per California Corporations Code §5250:

Correct. These are the powers of the AG which the CCWG has felt are insufficient.

> I do acknowledge that under the CCWG proposal there may be a greater chance of legal action as the scope of potential litigation is increased.

This is a key part of auDA's concerns.

> Of course, given the provisional remedies under consideration it would be hoped that affairs would never bubble up to this level of acrimonious discongruence.

I agree that, under the proposed accountability reforms, there would be a greater chance of “compromise” prior to litigation. That is precisely why we are supporting the reforms.  We not only “hope” that “affairs would never bubble up to this level of acrimonious discongruence” but believe that improved accountability and escalation mechanisms provide sufficient assurance that they never would.

Cheers,

Chris Disspain | Chief Executive Officer
.au Domain Administration Ltd
T: +61 3 8341 4111 | F: +61 3 8341 4112
E: ceo at auda.org.au <mailto:ceo at auda.org.au> | W: www.auda.org.au <http://www.auda.org.au/>
auDA – Australia’s Domain Name Administrator