[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: Re: [Wp4] WP4 Deliverable: Elaborating an ICANN Commitment to Human RIghts

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Thu Nov 5 14:58:39 UTC 2015

Reposting to the WG as requested . . .

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Wp4] WP4 Deliverable: Elaborating an ICANN Commitment to
Human RIghts
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 14:39:48 +0000
From: Nigel Roberts <nigel at channelisles.net>
To: wp4 at icann.org

Here's an example.

ICANN takes away the management of a ccTLD from a ccTLD manager in a
third world country based on false representations from a third party.

The responsible person at the manager has little English and is in any
event under the pressure of threatened harm to himself or his staff if
he objects. ICANN locates a 12 month old copy of the registry database
and passes it to the new manager who starts operations out of North
America, selling the domains for profit to California startups.

(NB: This is a portmanteau stitched together from various situations, so
is entirely hypothetical for our purposes).

ICANN has on the face of things, infringed at least on two fundamental
rights here - intellectual property, and the right to a fair hearing.

Your proposed wording could easily be used to eliminate any consequences
from this.