[CCWG-ACCT] regulatory/mission issue WS2

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Sat Nov 7 00:37:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-06 23:21, Greg Shatan wrote:

>> Firstly, very many people consider this clause to be an essential
>> component of trusting ICANN, independent of US oversight. You are
>> only
>> proposing deleting this in response to pressure from the
>> intellectual
>> property community, a stakegroup that many other suspect (not
>> without
>> reason) of aspirations to turn ICANN into precisely what is
>> prohibited
>> by this clause. Deleting it will be seen as only confirming those
>> fears.
>
> ​GS:  I am here engaging in good faith discussion of concerns that I
> have about this Bylaw.  If that's "pressure," than all that everybody
> does at ICANN is "pressure."

Greg,

I did not mean to impute bad faith, and if you took it that way
then I apologise for not being more clear.

On reflection, I think the above paragraph would have been better
with the words "pressure from" omitted. The meaning, as I intended
it, would have been just the same.

Kind Regards,

Malcolm.
--
             Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
    Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                  London Internet Exchange Ltd
            21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

          Company Registered in England No. 3137929