[CCWG-ACCT] Stress Test 18: bylaw amendment suggestion

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Mon Nov 9 18:09:21 UTC 2015

All - do we need a WP1 call to discuss this? We could squeeze one in and
have it ready for debate at CCWG on Friday?

Jordan

On 10 November 2015 at 03:48, Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco at netchoice.org>
wrote:

> Thank-you Pedro for picking-up this discussion after Dublin.
>
> Speaking only for myself, I am optimistic that CCWG might agree to apply
> the same condition for advice from *all* Advisory Committees.  What about
> a general Advisory Committee amendment along these lines, without
> singling-out the GAC?
>
> For any Advisory Committee where the Board is required to seek a mutually
> acceptable solution if the Board does not follow that Committee’s advice,
> the Board should not be required to arbitrate among divergent views within
> that Committee.  Therefore, the Board shall have no obligation to seek a
> mutually acceptable solution for Advisory Committee advice that was not
> supported by consensus among Committee members.
>

> Second, regarding your additional request to require more than 2/3
> majority vote for the board to reject GAC advice.   That has not been
> discussed in the CCWG, and would be regarded as a bid to enhance the weight
> of GAC’s advice.
>
> I believe that a new +2/3 rule would have to be balanced — by a
> requirement that any such GAC advice was adopted in the absence of any
> formal objection.  As you know, this is the GAC’s present rule for
> decision-making, so this does not impose any change on the GAC.
>
> Finally, we’re interested to know the GAC’s reaction to the rationale we
> provided for Stress Test 18 in Dublin.   I’ve attached revised text for ST
> 18 that reflects the updated rationale, as approved by Stress Test working
> party (before Dublin)  This text makes no mention of government ‘capture’
> and removes the offending language (with my apologies, once again).
>
> Am looking forward to seeing you at IGF and welcome additional exchanges
> of ideas there.
>
> Best regards,
> Steve
>

> From: <accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of
> Pedro Ivo Ferraz da Silva <pedro.ivo at itamaraty.gov.br>
> Date: Monday, November 9, 2015 at 11:28 AM
> To: "accountability-cross-community at icann.org" <
> accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
> Subject: [CCWG-ACCT] Stress Test 18: bylaw amendment suggestion
>
> Dear CCWG colleagues,
>
> As you are aware, in Dublin the GAC has provided a consensus input with
> regards to the bylaw amendments derived from ST18. The GAC input was the
> following:
>
> "*The discussions on Stress Test 18 have helped the GAC to have a better
> understanding of the different views on the issue. In assessing the
> different rationales presented so far related to Stress Test 18, the GAC
> considered: *
>
>    -
>
>    *The need that each and every Advisory Committee ensures that the
>    advice provided is clear and reflects the consensus view of the Committee; *
>    -
>
>    *The need that each and every Advisory Committee should preserve its
> [...]

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *