[CCWG-ACCT] Attempt to summarize discussion regarding Mission and Contract

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Nov 13 02:16:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 06:00:34PM +0000, Drazek, Keith wrote:
> Apologies, but is this where we left off on the wordsmithing?  Is Milton correct that we’re closer than I thought? Is it just a matter of resolving the definition around “services?”

I can't tell, but your earlier message with part of the other text I
thought we'd already settled made me worried, too.  So, here's what
_I_ think is the state of affairs.  I'm probably wrong, but maybe the
fact that I'm confused and how will us to converge on what questions
are still open.  I thought it might be good to put down before the
call tonight (I hope I wake up).  This includes a bit I just saw from
Greg, with some edits from me; I'll justify those in the other thread.
I hope this is useful; if not, feel free to flame me off list.

SLIGHT CONTROVERSY:

    The Mission of The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
    Numbers ("ICANN") is to ensure the stable and secure operation of
    the Internet's unique identifier systems as described below.
    Specifically, ICANN:

***OR***

    The Mission of The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
    Numbers ("ICANN") is to ensure the stable and secure operation of
    the Internet's unique identifier systems in the ways described
    below.  Specifically, ICANN:

[The difference here is the "as described" vs "in the ways described".
I think the latter is more flexible.]

AGREED:

    1.  Coordinates the allocation and assignment of names in the root
    zone of the Domain Name System ("DNS"). In this role, ICANN’s
    Mission is to coordinate the development and implementation of
    policies:

        • For which uniform or coordinated resolution is reasonably
          necessary to facilitate the openness, interoperability,
          resilience, security and/or stability:
        • That are developed through a bottom-up, consensus-based
          multi- stakeholder process and designed to ensure the stable
          and secure operation of the Internet’s unique names systems.

    2.  Coordinates the operation and evolution of the DNS root name
    server system. In this role, ICANN’s Mission is to [to be provided
    by root server operators].

[note: this could be called "controversial" since it's not filled in.]

    3.  Coordinates the allocation and assignment at the top-most
    level of Internet Protocol ("IP") and Autonomous System ("AS")
    numbers. ICANN’s Mission is described in the ASO MoU between ICANN
    and RIRs.

SLIGHT CONTROVERSY:

    4.  Collaborates with other bodies as appropriate to publish core
    registries needed for the functioning of the Internet. In this
    role, with respect to protocol ports and parameters, ICANN's
    Mission is to provide registration services and open access for
    registries in the public domain requested by Internet protocol
    development organizations, such as the Internet Engineering Task
    Force.

***OR***

    4.  Collaborates with other bodies as appropriate to publish core
    registries needed for the functioning of the Internet. In this
    role, with respect to protocol ports and parameters, ICANN's
    Mission is to provide registration services and open access for
    registries in the public domain requested by the Internet
    Engineering Task Force.

[The difference here is the "such as".  I prefer that a little bit
because I think it is more consistent with the MoU between ICANN and
the IETF and IAB -- ICANN's allowed to do this for other
organizations, too.]

AGREED:

    ICANN shall act strictly other than in accordance with, and only
    as reasonably appropriate to achieve its Mission.

CONTROVERSIAL:

    ICANN shall not impose regulations on:

        • services (i.e., any software process that accepts
        connections from the Internet) that use the Internet’s unique
        identifiers, or

        • the content that such services carry or provide

    ICANN shall have the ability to enter into and enforce agreements
    with contracted parties, in furtherance of its Mission.

[this is the latest version from Greg, adjusted to deal with what a
"service" might be.  I'll follow up on that text in that thread.]

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com