[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments on the Mission statement

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 21:39:49 UTC 2015

Bruce

One question:  The Board suggests that if language i adopted that
says "ICANN shall not impose regulations on services (i.e., any
software process that accepts connections for the Internet) that use
the Internet's unique identifiers, or the content that such services
carry or provide ..." there might be some existing registry
agreements that would be "out of compliance with ICANN's
responsibilities."  I'd be curious to know what the Board is
concerned with there - what parts of which registry agreements might
be affected (and made non-compliant) by this language?

With respect to that same "regulations on services" language, the
Board says that it is "unclear," and asks for "some examples of what
the CCWG believes that ICANN should and should not be able to do."

I agree that the "services" language isn't clear at the
moment.  Here's my attempt to capture the point that I think is being
made:  ICANN should not be allowed to impose -- directly or
indirectly, via its contracts -- obligations on persons or entities
whose only connection to the DNS is that they use a domain name for
Internet communication.

I think it's pretty straightforward.  I use a domain name
(davidpost.com) for Internet communication.  The idea -- and I think
pretty much everyone agrees with this? - is that ICANN can't impose
any obligations on me that affect how I operate the site, what
content I host or don't host, what goods or services I can or cannot
offer, what billing system I use for those goods and services, what
anti-virus software I install, ... It can't do that directly (by
imposing some contract terms on me itself) or indirectly  (by getting
3d parties like the registries or registrars to impose the obligations on me).

Registries and registrars, of course, are not entities "whose only
connection to the DNS is that they use a domain name for Internet
communication," so this clause shouldn't affect ICANN's ability to
impose obligations on them (which remains limited by other portions
of the Mission Statement).

David

David

At 02:12 AM 11/19/2015, Bruce Tonkin wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>The Board has been considering the CCWG Update on Progress Made In
>and After ICANN54 in Dublin published on 15 Nov 2015.
>
>The Board information call today considered the changes to the
>mission statement identified in that update.
>
>Attached is the Board's preliminary comments on the mission
>statement part of the Dublin update report.   As we review the
>remainder of that Update, we'll send through additional comments.
>
>Regards,
>
>Bruce Tonkin
>
>ICANN Board Liaison to the CCWG

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic publications
etc.  http://www.davidpost.com