[CCWG-ACCT] question on fiduciary duties and their objectivity

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Fri Oct 2 09:06:26 UTC 2015

Dear Jorge,

You are rightly pointing out one of the key areas where a shared
understanding of the concept and consequences has not been achieved so
far. $

Our 2nd report highlighted this issue for further investigation during
WS2, but I note that some comments mentioned that this should not be
clarified as part of WS1. The exact wording of our work item was :

> oClarifying understanding of the fiduciary duties of Board Directors
> and related expectations concerning Director behavior for the Board.

Past work on the topic include several mentions in legal memos. Most
notable is on page 4 of one of the initial memos from our Counsel dated
12 april
(https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/52890082/Combined%20CCWG%20Cover%20Memo%20and%20Templates.pdf?version=3&modificationDate=1428797461000&api=v2)
which addresses the balance between accountability and decision making
authority.

If we were to pursue this at this stage, we probably should flesh out
some questions to direct work from our Counsel. What would be the type
of questions you would raise Jorge ? (or others) ?

Best
Mathieu

--
Mathieu WEILL