[CCWG-ACCT] Chronology of accountability discussions & implications for our work.

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Oct 8 19:08:04 UTC 2015

Hi all

I attach for you a chronology of the accountability debate, starting with
ICANN's decision to push towards the NetMundial event in September 2013.

My motivation was a personal one - I found myself losing track of the order
of events, and I had a discomforting feeling that some of the reasons for
us being under significant time pressure now were not of our making.

The chronology stands for itself and is fully referenced. It's my hope to
have a blog post out about it today if possible. Whatever you think of my
observations below, if you find errors in the document, I'd love to hear
about them.

For our CCWG given where we are, I'd offer a couple of observations
inspired by recalling the history:

* the opposition of ICANN to a community driven accountability process
(from March to October 2014 - CCWG was only chartered in Nov 2014) is the
cause of our current time pressure.

* the multistakeholder process the CCWG has been following is the only one
that can drive to consensus. Development of separate alternative proposals
by different players won't work.

* critical to success is the ability to synthesise feedback and evolve new
models. This CCWG has done that significantly twice - in establishing its
First Draft and Second Draft proposals, where it moved from individual
memberships to a membership vehicle - while ensuring the proposal is able
to deliver on the accountability requirements the community has
established.

* Efforts to do this a third time are placed at risk by the Board's actions
in the past few weeks with its red lines tactic.

* it's not possible to synthesise and create new models to resolve
differences except in an environment of trust and confidence that the
outcome of such a dialogue will be respected. Only one party is obstructing
that process - we all know what it is. That party needs to change its
behaviour, and publicly commit to doing so as well. Otherwise, the entirety
of the CCWG's work is at risk.

Food for thought.

cheers
Jordan

--
Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *