[CCWG-ACCT] Definition of public policy advice from the GAC

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Thu Oct 29 22:23:54 UTC 2015

To the GAC members on this list,

I note that in the bylaws the GAC has a role in providing "public policy" advice to ICANN.

Does the GAC have a working definition of what this means?   Is there a UN standard definition of some sort?

and I must admit I have never fully understand the term.

I had originally expected that the GAC would provide advice on national laws and international treaties as it relates to ICANN.

I can understand that each country may have "policies" that are perhaps written documents and may vary by which government is in power at the time.  E.g. a national government may have a written immigration policy or a foreign trade policy etc.   These policies presumably have been approved by one or more Government ministers, and would generally be public.

Not sure how the GAC provides advice on "public policy" - should there be some sort of written national policies that support such advice?

e.g. ICANN policies are documented, approved by the Board, and made public.

Thanks,
Bruce Tonkin