[CCWG-ACCT] [bylaws-coord] Comments on Article 1 of the draft bylaws

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Wed Apr 6 20:01:53 UTC 2016

Dear Milton,

Thank you for your detailed review. This is really important and we must
be extremely cautious. Becky has responded on the "picket fence" issue you
raise, and given the level of detail we have been to during the
Recommendation 5 discussions, I don't think the approval of our
recommendations was understood or expected to imply amendments (which
would be undefined at this stage) of these annexes.

I also want to ensure you get a response to the 3 substantive issues you
mention.

We can share the  clarity and edit issues with the lawyers but I think we
have agreed that this should be left to their judgment.

Best,
Mathieu

Other Substantive issues
------------------------------

Section 1.1 (a) (iii)
"Coordinates the allocation and assignment at the top-most level of
Internet Protocol numbers and Autonomous System numbers." I thought IANA
and IETF, not ICANN, do this. ICANN does it only insofar as it is
contracted to be the IFO. Does this belong here? Looking forward to the
comments of numbers and protocol communities here.

provided their input, which was taken into account, through the Bylaws
Coordination Group. Indeed, should there be any issue, it should be
raised.

Section 1.2 (a) (vi)
Please delete the words "that enhance ICANN's effectiveness." I don't see
why these words are needed. They seem to undercut or make conditional the
clear meaning of the first part of the sentence, which states that ICANN
is accountable to its community through the mechanisms defined in the
bylaws.

5. As a consequence, I don't believe it is in our mandate to change them
at this point.

Section 1.2 (b) (vi)
modify the sentence to read: "governments and public authorities are
responsible for public policy IN THEIR OWN JURISDICTION." This is just a
legal fact. Governments have no legal mandate for global public policy.

Paragraph 22 page 5. As a consequence, I don't believe it is in our
mandate to change them at this point.