[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG - Proposed Responses to questions on Draft Bylaws

Chartier, Mike S mike.s.chartier at intel.com
Thu Apr 7 16:07:54 UTC 2016

On 6, I also have a little concern with the meeting's conclusion:
"The inclusion of the EC consent is required as a legal constraint due to the nature of the Designator model. To keep as close as possible to the conclusions of the CCWG Accountability Report, which did not amend the ability for the ICANN Board to remove one of its members, we recommend that the EC consent should be drafted in the Bylaws only as a matter of formality to endorse the Board decision, without any escalation or consultation process."

Some points:

a)      It is true that there was no discussion on the Board's existing autonomy to dismiss directors; however

b)      it is equally true that there was no discussion on the new power of EC to provide consent,  which has always been at least documented (see "designated directors cannot be removed without cause unless Sole Designator consents" from pg. 10 attached).

c)      what WAS discussed thoroughly, and received broad support, was the sovereignty of the SO/ACs to appoint and dismiss "their" directors, balanced (in response to the Board) with strong due diligence accorded the director.

d)      moreover, there is also the proposal's strong support of the EC's ability to check multiple other consequential Board actions.

So I have difficulty saying that rubberstamping the board's decision to remove an SO/AC is "as close as possible to the conclusions of the CCWG Accountability Report". And therefore I think the proposal by legal counsel, to give the EC the opportunity to oppose, much closer to the Report.