[CCWG-ACCT] EC approval of Board-initiated removals

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Apr 8 18:59:11 UTC 2016

I think Andrew provides an irrefutable example of how making EC approval of board removals a rubber stamp opens the door to abuse at worst, or confusion and indecision at least. I think we need to return to this issue.

I argued pretty strenuously in the Thursday call chat for EC approval (real, not automatic rubber stamp).
We know that some kind of EC approval is _legally required_. So there is no avoiding this issue.

Some argued that we had to make it "automatic" or a rubber stamp, because the CCWG did not explicitly say that it wanted to limit the board's ability to remove its own members. This is true as far as it goes, but the people who made that argument also acknowledged that this was largely an oversight rather than a deliberate decision. So, while the CCWG did not clearly say that it wanted the EC to approve board removals, it did not clearly say that it didn't, either.

Those who favored the "rubber stamp" approach argued that this would be a "substantive change" in the CCWG proposal. I disagree completely - it is filling in a gap that was left inadvertently. Because of the legal requirement for EC approval, there is no avoiding some kind of a change. The issue is whether we make an intelligent adjustment to this problem or a blind, unintelligent one.

To be fully consistent with the notion of a designator and an empowered community, we need to have the EC approve board-initiated removals, or else limit the board's removal power in some new way that forecloses the possibility of the scenario Andrew identified.

--MM