[CCWG-ACCT] Review of Articles 1-10 of the Draft Bylaws

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 22:49:48 UTC 2016

Kavouss,

Please allow me to provide some insight, since I'm familiar with comparison
("redlining") software from my day job.

Generically, red text is "new text."  In this case, it consists of the new
Bylaws text drafted by the Bylaws drafting team, based on the Supplemental
Proposal.  The "draft bylaws" in the Supplemental Proposal were never
intended to be definitive text to be "cut and pasted" into the Bylaws.
Rather, any such "draft bylaws" text was intended to be used along with
descriptive and conceptual discussions of potential Bylaws text, "notes to
drafters," and elements of the Supplemental Proposal that required Bylaws
revisions in order to implement them (whether or not accompanied by "draft
bylaws" text, etc.).

Green text is "moved text." Generically, this consists of existing text
that was moved by the drafters from a different place in the document. This
can be useful when sections of a document are re-ordered.  Unfortunately,
in my experience, these programs do a fairly poor job of picking up moved
text. The redlining programs often pick up some new text that is the same
as deleted text and deem that to be "moved text," which is of no use to the
reader.  Conversely, the program will often fail to pick up moved text if
it has been moved too far within a large document, and will show re-ordered
sections as new text when they are not new.  In my personal preferences for
comparison software, I "uncheck the box" for "show moved text," for the
reasons set forth above.

Greg

[image: http://hilweb1/images/signature.jpg]

*Gregory S. Shatan | Partner*McCARTER & ENGLISH, LLP

245 Park Avenue, 27th Floor | New York, New York 10167
T: 212-609-6873
F: 212-416-7613
gshatan @mccarter.com | www.mccarter.com

BOSTON | HARTFORD | STAMFORD | NEW YORK | NEWARK
EAST BRUNSWICK | PHILADELPHIA  | WILMINGTON | WASHINGTON, DC