[CCWG-ACCT] ICANN doesn't "allocate" or "assign" beyond the root (was Re: CCWG - Proposed Responses to questions on Draft Bylaws)

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Mon Apr 11 02:45:21 UTC 2016

This is correct. So I agree with Andrew, Avri and others that we need to keep the "in the root zone" in there.

I would have to add, however, that even the contractual requirements it imposes on registries are limited by its mission, which is to coordinate the global DNS name space. ICANN could not, I hope you agree, put into a registry contract that the registry operator must steal Andrew Sullivan's fedora whenever he is seen wearing it. Just to use a random example.

Insofar as ICANN can touch domain names beyond the TLD it does so contractually via its delegation of the top level domains in the root zone. It does NOT have any free-floating authority to issue commands about what happens elsewhere in the DNS.