[CCWG-ACCT] Weinstein v. Iran

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 4 19:02:28 UTC 2016

I think the arrangements you describe would be sufficient to protect the third party interests of registrants under a TLD. More could also be done to ensure that in any such delegation, the new owner doesn't impair the property and service interests of SLD registrants.

What I don't understand is the court's feeling that ICANN's interest in the stability and interoperability of the DNS would be impaired by a legally mandated redelegation. I think that argument is just plain false. A redelegation does not create a compatibility issue. I don't think the court understands what ICANN does and was overly swayed by hysterical USG amicus brief that claimed that the whole "model of internet governance" would be destroyed by a pro-plaintiff decision.

--MM