[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 Diversity Subgroup Meeting #1 _ 8 August 2016

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Mon Aug 8 16:20:08 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Diversity Subgroup Meeting #1 - 8 August 2016 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/eyGOAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer
MSSI Projects & Operations Assistant
ICANN - Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers

 Notes

1. Call Admin and Roll Call / Apologies
*        Per Adobe participants list

2. Welcome - Opening Remarks
*        Rafik Dammak and Fiona Asonga co-chairing.

3. Discussion of our mandate/remit and purpose as outlined by WS1.
*        Fiona Asonga: General presentation on WS2

4. Brief Presentation (Comments)
*        Rafik Dammak: Definition of diversity in the ICANN context? What areas shall we focus on? What can we use as inputs? What other experiences can we learn from? We are also
waiting for the background paper from staff.
*        Sebastien Bachollet: We would need more data on diversity beyond what was presented by AFNIC. If there is not more it could be one of our tasks to build such data.
*        Julie Hammer: need to understand how we define  (or describe may be more realistic) diversity is needed to understand what type of data we want to collect. It could also be that different
aspects of diversity could be different for different groups. As such some aspects of diversity could/should be best addressed in those groups.
*        Tijani Ben Jemaa: there is quite a bit of difference on the information - would be good to have a solid base. Not all aspects of diversity are more key than others.
*        Niels ten Oever: many people have been thinking about diversity and we should look at the literature and compare to what we have in ICANN. We need to understand what we are
talking about - email lists, staff, Board etc. Maybe not all are on the same level.
*        Fiona Asonga: Agree NTO. need to define diversity. What is important for us is to understand what diversity we are looking at - technical, geographiical, gender etc.
*        Niels ten Oever: +1 having everyone define their own requirements will be messy
*        Niels ten Oever: and will mess up indicators. Niels ten Oever: One could think of geographic, gender, orientation, age, minorities, time involved, education, expertise, etc
*        Fiona Asonga: we will move the discussion to the list as to which should be the areas we focus on.
*        Tijani BEN JEMAA: language and culture diversity are key
*        Lousewies van der Laan: I think its key to have an atmosphere that is open and inclusive, so that all minorities, including sexual ones feel welcome.
*        Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): absolutely for us in ICANN  IMO  should be *inclusiveness, opportunity to participation  (here I mean  both minimal barriers and facilitation, and if
course recognition of our desired 'diversity objectives*  for  our component parts of ICANN and as a whole...

5. Discuss the work plan
*        Fiona Asonga: It would great if we could have defined our areas of focus by then end of the month. We could then gather data.
*        RaffikDammak: This should be considered a complex topic. (or at least one that will be time consuming).

6. AOB / Next Meeting
*        Doodle poll to determine meeting times.
*        Adjourned