[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Sat Aug 13 19:51:01 UTC 2016

John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> [2016-08-08 06:56:12 -0400]:
>     ICANN by its function is not a "public governance body” - it is actually a coordination
>     body that supports the stable and secure operation of the Internet’s various identifier
>     systems.

Dear John,
It is not a mere "coordination body".  It sets policies, which a
"coordination body" would not do.  Setting down policies with regard to
trademarks and domain names, for instance, is not mere "coordination", imho.

It is a regulator: it taxes, it regulates, and it engages in governance.[1]

~ Pranesh

  [1]: I was hoping to address some of these questions in an IGF
workshop that I'd proposed for this year on ICANN's role as a regulator,
which proposal unfortunately got rejected by the IGF MAG.

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh