[CCWG-ACCT] Clarifying the Observer Role in the Subgroups

Bernard Turcotte turcotte.bernard at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 14:34:14 UTC 2016

Greg et al.,

Answers inserted in your questions below but it is important to note the
the role of Observers was meant to be just that:

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Co-Chairs and Staff,
>
> We need some clarification of the Observer role in the Subgroups.
>
> Conceptually, are the Observers essentially "spectators" or do they have
> the ability to participate in some fashion?
>
> Specifically:
>
> 1.  Will Observers get call invitations?

​No - in part this is because there is no way to distinguish between
Observers and Participants​ on teleconferences or in Adobe - as such if
Observers were to participate in these there would be no point in having
the differentiation between Observers and Active Participants. It is
however important to note that there is no restrictions on who can be an
Active Participant or an Observer and that people can join either or switch
between them at any time. I will copy below the published definitions of
these here to remind people of the difference between these two:

   - As an active participant who wishes to engage in the day-to-day
   discussions of the particular topic. Each active participant is expected to
   spend at least 3-5 hours per week on sub-group work and will have posting
   rights to the mailing list.
   - As an observer who wishes to follow the topic discussion but not
   actively participate at the sub-group level. Observers are not expected to
   spend time on sub-group work and will not have posting rights to the
   mailing list.

> 2.  Can Observers join Adobe Connect and/or phone bridge for the call?

​That is up to the rapporteurs for that group as staff will not police this
- but again since calls are being recorded, transcribed and notes taken it
was felt observers would not be deprived of any information.
​

> 3.  If yes, can Observers speak and/or write in the chat, or are they
> required to be silent/non-participating?

​As noted above there is no automated way of , and staff will not police,
enforcing any limitation on Observers in Adobe, as such there is nothing
which would prevent them from fully participating.
​

> 4.  Do Observers receive the mailing list posts along with everyone else?

​Yes.
​

> 5.  Will Observers have posting rights to the email list?

​No.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

B.​