[CCWG-ACCT] Governing vs co-ordinating (was Re: [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 15 05:45:02 UTC 2016

On Sunday 14 August 2016 10:43 PM, John Curran wrote:
> snip
> Parminder -
>
> It’s also difficult to go anywhere and not make use of standard fasteners
> (nuts, bolts, etc.) - the chair holding you up is likely dependent
> upon them
> right now, and the near universal adoption of same is as pervasive as the
> Internet, if not more so…   Since you equate such popularity with "public
> governance", you might want to keep apprised of these standards as well -
> <http://www.astm.org/Standards/fastener-standards.html>
>
> Each of these “laws" most certainly "applies to all people of the
> world” - I
> am not certain if anyone has yet let them know that they are engaged (per
> your dictate) in "a matter that is legitimately an issue of public
> governance.”
> but it looks to be a large undertaking to do so...

John

Nothing here is my dictate. These are just the normal political terms
and arrangements, as they exist in the world today. it is you and ICANN
which is trying to claim a (post democratic) exception.

Yes, all those that you describe are important standards, applied across
the world. However, nowhere is the application of these standards done
in a manner that claims exemption from an higher layer of public
governance to which they remain subject. Unlike ICANN these process do
not claim a global sovereignty of its/ their own.

The problem is that you and others want to both (1) claim ICANN
processes as being merely standards making and technical coordination
and (2) also claim sovereignty for ICANN from any higher layer of public
governance. You cannot have both. That is the point. If done by claiming
sovereignty from any higher layer of public governance, ICANN's so
called technical functions, that are both socially very important, and
have great de facto enforceability, become issues of public governance.

parminder