[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 16 17:00:57 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 16 August 2016 10:08 PM, avri doria wrote:
> snip
> I think that ICANN is exceptional in its characteristic as a
> multistakeholder run organization dealing with a global issue that
> established its principles in a bottom manner.
>
> As for the current state of transparency being pathetic, though I think
> improving by baby steps. that is one thing we are here to fix.  We do
> not need for everyone to accept specific labels in order for this to be
> the case.  We just need to fix it.

When a body makes policies, especially if on socially important matters,
which apply to all public, and it has means to enforce them, it is
undertaking a 'public governance' function. This is definitional.

There can be disagreement and a discussion on how such 'public
governance' is undertaken - through the traditional election based,
centralised state system, or new issue specific systems, possibly a
multistakeholder kind. But how can the very nature of the function be
denied, that is wholly un-understandable and unacceptable. We better not
fiddle with such basis concepts of political science.

 Just trying to get around some immediate difficult problem - like, how
to save the global Internet's technical coordination from arbitrary gov
interferences  - we may not throw away valuable civilisational ideas,
concepts and arrangements like 'public' and 'democracy'.  They cannot be
treated as dispensable 'labels', they are extremely important ideals  to
respect, and follow.

And in this case too, they have a clear practical value. They can help
us the give the basis of the kind of standards of transparency that we
expect from ICANN.

parminder