[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Aug 17 08:33:40 UTC 2016

Hello Brett,

I will provide a personal view on your questions.

>>   Would they also would prevent an individual Board Member from obtaining this information if they requested it under their Right of Inspection?

I doubt it.   For the purposes of a confidential clause between ICANN the organization and a third party – a Board director should have access in the same way as a member of management.

In terms of a decisional participant obtaining confidential  information – that is a new mechanism.   Going forward what we probably need is a standard set of conditions that applies to contracting and confidentiality provisions.   Such provisions should allow a decisional participant access to confidential information under an appropriate NDA.

>>  Or impede the EC from obtaining the information through an independent audit?

Again depends on how confidentiality clauses are worded in the future.   Usually an independent auditor is itself bound by confidentiality provisions and it should be possible to ensure that any confidentiality provisions include the ability for an independent auditor to confirm that a contract has been entered consistently with ICANN's policies.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin