[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Aug 21 13:03:19 UTC 2016

Sorry, John, I am unable to follow the meaning of your insistence on
specificity. But I do know clearly well that if we, or 'the community',
agrees to the principle that if any comparable information request to
the US or Indian government would elicit a legally mandated information
disclosure, ICANN should also do it, then an appropriate information
disclosure regime can easily be written out for ICANN. The draft can
then be tested for this principle, and finalised, and adopted. (This
will for instance mean that about 90 percent of ICANN's current non
disclosure conditions will be thrown in the waste-paper bin where they
belong).

If your insistence on specificity means that I should first present an
entire draft of the information disclosure policy for ICANN, that I
would consider appropriate, without the 'community' or the 'empowered
WG' first discussing and agreeing to the higher level principles of it,
I find it simply a way to foreclose the important discussion -- because
such is quite impractical for anyone to do.

I have been involved in enough draftings of documents related to
governance/ policies etc, and it is always first discussion and
agreement on larger principles, followed by more specific drafting.

And so I repeat my specific question to you"Does this group share the
expectation that at the end of the transition process, ICANN will adopt
information disclosure policies of the same level as that of mature
democracies today (I give the public information regimes of India and US
as specific examples)? If not, why so?"

parminder