[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Aug 21 16:22:03 UTC 2016

On Sunday 21 August 2016 09:24 PM, John Curran wrote:
> snip
> (I see that Paul Rosenzweig has embarked on such an activity on this
> list, which is
> most excellent...)

Paul's two points are exactly the same specifics that I presented in my
previous email (1) junk most of the non disclosure conditions, and (2)
ICANN's service providers cannot put conditions that the natue of work
that they do cannot be disclosed, and in this matter I specifically want
to know what the 7 agencies actually did in terms of education
activities reg IANA transition.

But obviously you like some sources of specificity more than others, but
fine, lets do with that...
> Since “information disclosure policies of the same level as that of
> mature democracies”
> is otherwise undefined, I would not support such…   Suggesting that
> ICANN emulate
> generically unstated principles based on whatever each one of us might
> consider a
> mature democracy results in meaningless agreement, since we are
> certain to be able
> to find inconsistencies both in the countries and their policies that
> might be considered.
>
> If you would like to state some actual information disclosure
> _principles_ that you feel
> are important (i.e. extracting them from those countries you wish to
> emulate), then perhaps
> some progress might be made.

I actually linked the Indian Right to information law
<http://rti.gov.in/rti-act.pdf>, in a previous email, which is fully
detailed on people's right to pubic information, and any possible
reasons for non disclosure.... I dont see why it should not apply to
ICANN, something almost exactly on the same lines.... So, once again, I
have siad and done what you are saying I havent... I somehow seem unable
to please you :)

>  Seeking generically to claim that we should ape “mature
> governments policies” without actually stating the principles to be
> followed would appear
> to be an highly indirect and potentially disingenuous approach to the
> problem.

As you see above, I am making no generic claims. I quoate the Indian
act, the US law is widely available, and there are many groups and
websites devoted to the issue of transparency with regard to public
information.

I am still afraid, i may not be meeting your standards of specificity -
so let me repeat, can we apply the Indian right to information act,
replacing terms pertaining to the Indian government with that about ICANN?
parminder