[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings and transcript for WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #13 | 19 December

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Mon Dec 19 21:55:10 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2_ CCWG Ombudsman Subgroup, Meeting #13 - 19 December 2016 will be available here:
https://community.icann.org/x/B5vDAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Kind Regards,
Yvette Guigneaux
Multi-Stakeholder & Strategic Initiative Asst.
ICANN
Email:  yvette.guigneaux at icann.org
Cell:  +1-310-460-8432
Skype:  yvette.guigneaux.icann

12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Playa Vista, CA 90094

________________________________
Notes
(including relevant portions of the chat):

Roll Call / Apologies - Welcome - Opening Remarks
*  Roll call will be taken from the AC room.
*  No participants on audio only.
*  Sebastien walked through the agenda.
*  Around 6 participants on the call only out of 22 signed-up, not optimal.

External review of the ICANN Ombuds Office
*  Asking ICANN staff to provide an update on the status of the external review
*  Lars Hoffman will provide the update. Lars is an ICANN employee, part of MSSI (multistakeholder strategy and strategic initiatives) and works on reviews.
*  Lars walks the group through the draft RFP (Request for Proposal) that was prepared by ICANN staff.
*  Larisa Gurnick: The document has been drafted by staff, based on the key elements discussed with the subgroup at the last call, with inputs from both ATRT2 and WS1 and our group.
*  Farzaneh Badii: Larisa that is not enough. SO/ACs should be informed.
*  Farzaneh Badii: can we make changes to this? or is it final?
*  Larisa Gurnick: It is very much a draft, and will be handed over to the subgroup for your input and suggestions.
*  Sebastien: We will have a draft in a few days, that the subgroup will be able to review and amend. We won't have a lot of time, we don't want to be bottleneck for the whole WS2 work.
*  Farzaneh Badii: how long do we have to make comments on this?
*  Farzaneh Badii: who is going to decide which individuals are relevant to interview?
*  Herb: I thought the review was more an evaluation of how the community fits into the ombuds office.
*  Farzaneh: on the scope of work: the review should also focus on how the office is designed. We have to use caution when reviewing best practices. Ombuds office at ICANN is quite different from other industries (often limited to employees disputes).  The reviewer has to understand the difference of ICANN with other corporations. About one-on-one interviews: we should ask SO/ACs about this.
*  Lars: we would encourage this subgroup to help us identify which individuals should be interviewed during the review.
*  Klaus: We should use the review time to include the points that need to be clarified, to not leave too much room for interpretation.
*  Sebastien: there are parts of the document that we worked on a few weeks ago that we could include in this RFP.
*  Sebatien: let's try to give our initial feedback by Friday, Dec 23. ICANN staff will ultimately pick the reviewer. Sebastien invites participants to review last call's presentation to understand the whole process.
*  Last week's presentation can be found here under Documents:  https://community.icann.org/x/dZjDAw[community.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_dZjDAw&d=DgMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=xjNMRR-fjlgBx7tqUEv8lZv2O9RJyMyqWkymcecegCUuwDxFVsW6VBuvkqKnS_lk&m=NAXO30pkzXfbwDkV1yfaWYiRxBQJPD_TP4OA0JQuz_E&s=g8mfZdAPy_PvI4SMTZYeTk3BXu-GKb8DGzBWW8SAe5o&e=>

How to organize our team?
*  Sebastien suggests having a small group to follow external review of the IOO, including: Sebastien, Farzaneh, Avri, Cheryl, Alberto, Klaus, Herb, Asha.
*  Asha Hemrajani: Thank you Seb.  I will be happy to follow the work of the group but as a board liaison my main role is liaising and observation.  The community needs to drive the work.
Other tasks that
-  Need to be delay after receiving the external review report
-  Can be handle in //
Sebastien will resend to the group the structure that was discussed for the final report, so  that the group can identify what should be delayed and what can be handled in parallel, and this can be discussed in our next meeting.
Sebastien identified portions of the Transparency report that refer to the Ombudsman's office. He will send these to the list, and asks the subgroup to review these elements and provide feedback on the mailing list.

Calendar
- Next meetings
*  #14 Monday Jan 9, 2017 13:00UTC
*  Skipping one week after that due to Chinese new year. After that we will resume weekly meetings.
*   Iranian new year is on 21 March
*  Asha Hemrajani: Would it be possible to change the 9th Jan meeting to 10th Jan? Chinese new year is not till the end of January, there is no reason to skip the week of Jan 16th.
AOB
*  Herb: what are the next steps? the group will receive the draft RFP to review via the mailing list? does the small group need to have a call? if so, when would that be?
*  Sebastien: goal is to receive a draft from staff by Wednesday, and to provide initial feedback by Friday.
*  Asha: there is already a timeframe drafted for the RFP. We should build up on that.