[CCWG-ACCT] Clarification about Greg's response

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Thu Dec 22 15:08:12 UTC 2016

Dear Seun,

First, there are different interpretations of the WS1 report regarding the
scope of work of the Jurisdiction subgroup.  This is important to recognize
and acknowledge.

While discussion of ICANN’s place of incorporation is not central to the
work of the incumbent subgroup, as per the recommendations of our WS1
report, should the subgroup identify an issue where it appears that the only
apparent solution would be a change in ICANN’s place of incorporation, then
the issue would be discussed, since we don’t want to rule out any
discussions that can help the subgroup produce a better and complete
outcome.

To that end, the subgroup must keep in mind that having ICANN move its place
of incorporation materially means dismantling the accountability framework
of WS1.  Indeed, it could mean dismantling ICANN as we know it and building
a new organization from the ground up, hence the difficulty in implementing
such a task without huge risks around it.”

In addition, we know that:

•             ICANN’s incorporation and location in California was listed as
one of the existing accountability mechanisms at the very beginning of our
work in WS1;

•             ICANN’s Articles of Incorporation (which is treated the same
as a fundamental Bylaw) say that ICANN’s HQ is in California;

•             We need consensus on each recommendation, at the plenary level
and with the Chartering Orgs and the Board.

You are most welcome to join the subgroup, bearing in mind that we need to
find a way forward that is suitable to all. As is often the case in such
discussions, listening to each other is even more important than speaking
up, if we want to ensure a constructive outcome.

We hope this (delayed) response is helpful to you, and look forward to your
further contributions.

Best,

Thomas, Leon & Mathieu

PS : many thanks to Greg Shatan for his support in drafting this response.