[CCWG-ACCT] Judgement-free DNS

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Feb 3 19:15:16 UTC 2016

Me too. I am sure "technical DNS and IANA" in any case was just Larry
saying that the DNS and IANA things that ICANN does are, to the layperson,
"technical"...

Jordan

On 4 February 2016 at 05:24, Burr, Becky <Becky.Burr at neustar.biz> wrote:

> I can accept the change or leave it as is.
>
> *J. Beckwith Burr*
> *Neustar, Inc.* / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
> 1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
> *Office:* +1.202.533.2932  *Mobile:* +1.202.352.6367 */* *neustar.biz*
> <http://www.neustar.biz>
>
> From: Kavouss Arasteh <kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com>
> Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 11:17 AM
> To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>
> Cc: Accountability Community <accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
> Subject: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Judgement-free DNS
>
> Andrew + 1
> Kavouss

>> Hi,
>>
>> This change is ok with me, but given the late date I'm just as inclined
>> to make no change at all.  I'm sorry I brought the issue up.

>> --
>> Andrew Sullivan
>> Please excuse my clumbsy thums.
>>
>> > On Feb 2, 2016, at 21:48, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > In the the current Bylaws, Core Value 1 is
>> >
>> > "Preserving and enhancing the operational stability, reliability,
>> security, and global interoperability of the Internet."
>> >
>> > Driven at least partly by the NTIA requirement that the transition
>> ensure "The neutral and judgment free administration of the technical DNS
>> and IANA functions", the proposed new language was
>> >
>> > "Preserve and enhance the neutral and judgment free operation of the
>> DNS, and the operational stability, reliability, security, global
>> interoperability, resilience, and openness of the DNS and the Internet."
>> >
>> > The ALAC's comment considered the phrase "Preserve and enhance the
>> neutral and judgment free OPERATION of the DNS...". The DNS is the overall
>> system that includes the functions managed by IANA/ICANN the root servers
>> as well as every other DNS instance in the world. To claim that ICANN has
>> ANY control over the operation of the entire DNS is both over-reaching and
>> implies a level of control that we do not have.
>> >
>> > The current proposal (now Commitment 2), "Preserve and enhance the
>> neutral and judgment free administration of the technical DNS, and the
>> operational stability, reliability, security, global interoperability,
>> resilience, and openness of the DNS and the Internet" was an attempt to
>> used the wording of the NTIA requirement in lieu of "...operation...".
>> >
>> > Presumably the reference to IANA, although crucial to the NTIA intent,
>> was omitted because under the new proposed regime, this is not strictly an
>> "ICANN" function. I was not part of the decision on exactly what language
>> to put in the present version.
>> >
>> > People have now reasonably queries what the "technical DNS" is.
>> >
>> > I propose the following language which removed the word "technical" but
>> addresses the original ALAC concern.
>> >
>> > "Preserve and enhance its neutral and judgment free administration of
> [...]

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *