[CCWG-ACCT] Board comments on Recommendation 6 - Human Rights

Dr. Tatiana Tropina t.tropina at mpicc.de
Thu Feb 4 15:53:26 UTC 2016

Absolutely agree with Paul.
After I read the rationale, which the board provided for modification of
the bylaw language (in the PDF document attached to Bruce's email), I
understood better the board's concerns about third party implications. I
realised that the language we proposed (as Chinese wall against claims
to "to enforce") could be, according to the board statement, interpreted
in a different way - or at least someone can try to do so. While I can
not fully agree with this position, I can respect this opinion and can
admit that this is a sensitive issue, which requires further
consideration. Thus, I have to agree with the proposed modification for
the sake of finding the middle ground.
From our communications with the board (Bruce's last emails) I can
figure out that the board agrees that the question of which human rights
are applicable to the ICANN (and, thus, which standards, etc.) shall be
an issue for consideration in the WS2, so we are on the same page here.
This was the initial idea in any case: to have a commitment in the bylaw
and to interpret in in WS2. Agree with Paul that we have to be clear
about ICANN's special role - this is why we need WS2 on the first place.
All in all, though I am not crazily happy with the proposed language
(but this is what constructive approach means, I assume), I think that
this bylaw together with further board's statement can in a good way
outline ICANN's commitment to human rights and frame our work in WS2.
Best regards
Tatiana