[CCWG-ACCT] "Staff Accountability" has been assigned to Work Stream 2 since Frankfurt, and there was no decision to remove it by the CCWG

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 04:15:51 UTC 2016

I share this concern.  First, there is no point in this process where we
should rely solely on what public comments "reveal."  We should fully
consider public comments, but we are not here merely to receive
revelations.  We need to exercise judgment.

Fortunately, this was an instance where judgment should have been
relatively easy.

Unfortunately, the Third Draft Report nonetheless gets it wrong.

A review of the public comments to the Second Draft reveals no support for
the statement  “Public comments revealed that a review of staff
accountability should not be pursued.”

According the public comment analysis tool, only 9 comments (out of 94)
directly addressed staff accountability.  All 9 of these comments were
deemed to support the overall recommendation.  Four of the comments did
note issues with aspects of the recommendation, but none of the comments
opposed the recommendation outright.

90% of the comments did not even find our second draft recommendation on
staff accountability worthy of comment, and all those that did supported
the comment, completely or in large part.  This provides nothing but
support for pursuing staff accountability in Work Stream 2, not the
opposite.  The statement in our Third Draft Report is a clear error, which
must be corrected.

This is a big project, and mistakes can happen.  Fortunately, this one was
caught in time, and we need to make it right.  We need to restore the
recommendations from the Second Draft report, tweak them as we deem
necessary, and put staff accountability squarely in the hands of Work
Stream 2.

Greg