[CCWG-ACCT] Suggested text relating to ICANN's role with respect to rood servers

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Tue Feb 9 10:09:54 UTC 2016

In terms of accountability, ICANN needs strongly to consider separation.

It cannot be both gamekeeper and poacher, or perhaps a better metaphor,
both referee and player.

I submit to the WG that it needs to consider a plan to transition its
roles as registry operator (.INT, .ARPA) and as root server operator, so
as to remove any appearance of bias in its 'co-ordination' role.

(See McGonnell v UK for the definition of apparent bias).