[CCWG-ACCT] Removal and accountability to community (was Re: CCWG ACCT Proposed Agenda - Call #84 - Tuesday, 16 February @ 06:00 UTC)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Feb 17 20:47:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 09:29:47PM +0100, Kavouss Arasteh wrote:
> of Incorporation isnot violated , the Board is Under the mercy of the SO/AC
> .
> That is a very shaky and uncertain situation since just those SO and AC may
> for any unjustified reasons get together and Spill over the Board
> That is what the community wants ?

I keep being surprised by others' surprise about the ability of the
SOs and ACs to get together and remove the board, given that for some
time we've been working on a system by which the SOs and ACs can get
together and spill the board.

Some earlier proposals appeared (to some) to be too fragile, because
they made that removal easy.  But now there is the long engagement and
escalation process that requires a lot of work and, it is to be hoped,
impresses upon everyone precisely how serious a step they are taking.

Ultimately, though, accountability to the community means that the
community can remove you at any time.  It also means that the
community needs to behave responsibly.  We should have confidence that
the ICANN community -- of which, after all, we are all a part -- will
indeed behave that way.

In case it's useful, by way of comparison: my colleagues on the IAB
can remove me as chair at any time and for any reason (no explanation,
fulsome or otherwise, required); and with sufficient nomcom-eligible
IETF participants I can also be recalled at any time from the IAB.
The IETF has never exercised this procedure all the way through to the
end, because by the time things are that serious everyone realises
that it's time for discussion and compromise.  I think the same thing
will happen here.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com