[CCWG-ACCT] Updated Proposal Documents Available for Review

Schaefer, Brett Brett.Schaefer at heritage.org
Mon Feb 22 21:03:30 UTC 2016

This reminds me. In Buenos Aries, Larry Strickling observed,

“As I listen to the discussions of membership models, separability, budget reviews and the like, I am struck by the fact that this community goes through cycle after cycle of putting its own people on the board and then stops trusting them to act in the interest of the multistakeholder model. I am puzzled by the fact that the discussion to date has not asked why it is that community leaders go from prophet to pariah simply by joining the ICANN board.  And I am worried that until the community solves this issue, all the other accountability tools will fall short of delivering the outcomes the community wants.”

As I remember, this aside got a lot of applause from the Board. Unfortunately, the actions of the Board over the past week provide a strong illustration as to why this distrust exists and  perseveres.

We may not be able resolve the trust issue as Larry recommended we do, but we can make sure that the Board is accountable. We should not take steps to weaken the checks on the Board in the current proposal.

Brett Schaefer
Jay Kingham Senior Research Fellow in International Regulatory Affairs
Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom Davis Institute for National Security and Foreign Policy
The Heritage Foundation
214 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002
202-608-6097