[CCWG-ACCT] Request for Clarification on Threshold Issue

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Feb 28 20:00:58 UTC 2016

I don't agree with your example. however valid the rest of your comment.

Traditionally, the auxilary "shall" is used for the future tense with
the first-person pronouns I and We.   "Will" is used with the
first-person (again, I refer to traditional usage) to express
determination not merely futurity.

The opposite is true for second- and third-person pronouns: with these
"will" is used in the future tense, and "shall" is used only when we
wish to express determination or to emphasize certainty.

So both of your examples are right, not just one; and they bear subtly
different meanings . . . .

"If you come late I WILL NOT wait for you"

means :-

"I have no desire to wait for you if you are late. I am determined in
that view"  (the conclusion that "you should not expect to see me there"
is merely implicit)

However  . . .

"If you come late I SHALL NOT wait for you" means literally and
EXPLICITLY simply that :-

"Do not expect to see me there if you arrive late".

This form says nothing about my feelings or desires explicitly (though
you might imply this, it is not certain at all;  and my reasons for not
being there if your are late may be external unrelated to my desires,
wishes or intentions.).

'Shall' is very commonly used in legislation in the third person to
imply mandatoriness.

Nigel

(PS: WILL NOT and SHALL NOT may be replaced with WON'T and SHAN'T)