[CCWG-ACCT] Request for Clarification on Threshold Issue

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Sun Feb 28 20:14:41 UTC 2016

"'Shall' is very commonly used in legislation in the third person to
imply mandatoriness."

Agreed.

 In four decades of U.S.  legislative experience I have always seen "shall" used to denote a mandatory outcome. "May", on the other hand, allows for discretionary judgment -- and is usually accompanied by a listing of considerations that should be considered in exercising that discretion. I would note further that the current language we are seeking to have clarified neither provides any such list of considerations, nor does it designate who the decisional entity would be.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050