[CCWG-ACCT] Analysis of the Reconsideration Request Process

Padmini pdmnbaruah at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 13:08:53 UTC 2016

Dear all,

In the post enclosed below, I have detailed out our experiences, at the
Centre for Internet and Society, with ICANN’s Reconsideration Process.

In trying to understand this rather fascinating process, I attempted to
make a statistical analysis of the 144 Reconsideration Requests that ICANN
has received/responded to (As of February 29, 2016). These have included
grievances ranging from unfulfilled DIDP requests to issues with timely
provision of minutes, to issues with the gTLD programme.

The kind of numbers that that this tabular analysis threw up were fairly
disturbing:

   1. The Reconsideration Committee/Board Governance Committee has* denied
   118 of the 144 requests* – an incredible 81.9%
   2. Of the 144 requests, *6 were withdrawn* by the requester before ICANN
   responded.
   3. I was *unable to find publicly available responses to 8 out of 144
   requests*, one dating back up to 2000, and the most recent ones,
   presumably still being processed, from 2016.
   4. For only *12 out of 144* – a mere 8.3%,  either the Committee has
   responded favourably, or the action against which reconsideration was
   sought has itself been remedied.
   5. The Committee does not seem to have a single uniform time binding its
   processing of the requests – the number of days that it takes for there to
   be a proper response has ranged from 7 days to over a 100 days. 89 of the
   144 requests have taken more than 30 days to process, and there has not
   always been an attempt towards a proper explanation for the same. This is
   quite contradictory to the wording of the By-Laws, which holds that the
   Committee should attempt to make a recommendation within 30 days. (See
   Article IV, Section 2 of the Bylaws)

The table may be viewed here -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p_sATPBLr264JQC82f8CtPqfA8qdLSN_ySjAHHb0c3c/edit?usp=sharing

I have enclosed my post as well as my charts for the same.

Any comments and feedback would be welcome!

[image: Inline image 1][image: Inline image 2]
Regards

Padmini Baruah
Programme Associate, Internet Governance
Centre for Internet and Society