[CCWG-ACCT] Request for Clarification on Threshold Issue

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Mon Feb 29 19:11:08 UTC 2016

Thomas

With respect, this is arrant nonsense. At least in the English speaking
world.

sich (der Stimme) enthalten
---------------------------

The act of abstention is an act of omission. It is just non-voting. It
is most definitely NOT the act of actively announcing an intention not
to vote which is never required.

To arrive at the number of abstentions one does NOT positively count
votes. One adds the postive and negative votes together, and the
difference between that and the total electorate is the number of
abstentions. To do otherwise is a mere fad of convenience.

In order to exercise a right to abstain one one may not be required to
"positively vote neither 'Aye' nor 'Nay'. That is basic democracy in action.

Otherwise you should need a fourth category.