[CCWG-ACCT] DOCUMENT - Recommendation 1 – Inspection Rights (first reading)

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Jan 6 16:47:52 UTC 2016

Hi all

Just a quick note to say I much prefer the lawyers' proposed approach on
inspection rights, and do not support the Board's proposal.

As a matter of principle, the use of these rights is most likely to help
inform a decision about using the other community powers. Using the same
process as that which applies to those community powers is overkill: this
*should* be a simpler process.

As a matter of practical effect, the requirement that an SO or AC agree the
request will by itself prevent vexatious or over-frequent use. There is no
chance of, say, the ccNSO Council, randomly & inappropriately deciding to
exercise such a right.

So since the practical fears the Board noted aren't really valid, and since
there is wide agreement as far as I can tell about the importance of these
rights, in my opinion we should go with what our lawyers have suggested
here, and be clear with the language in the next version of our document.
That's the most workable and straight forward approach IMO.

best
Jordan

On 6 January 2016 at 15:53, Alice Jansen <alice.jansen at icann.org> wrote:

> *Sent on behalf of CCWG-ACCT Co-Chairs*
>
> In preparation for your R*ecommendation 1 – Inspection Rights (first
> reading)* discussion scheduled for your call #75 - Thursday, 7 January
> 2016 (19:00 – 22:00 UTC) - please find attached the material to review.
> Please use this email thread to circulate any comments you may have in
> advance of the call.
>
> Thank you
>
> Mathieu, Thomas, León

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

+64-4-495-2118 (office) | +64-21-442-649 (mob)
Email: jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter
Web: www.internetnz.nz

*A better world through a better Internet *