[CCWG-ACCT] On behalf of Co-Chairs - Public comment summary/analysis

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Wed Jan 6 16:56:19 UTC 2016

Alice

Very helpful collation/summary.

One small edit on CDT's input.  On rec. 1 col. G could you replace the
words Sole Member with Sole Designator (CDT supported the Sole Member
but is comfortable supporting the Sole Designator model in the proposal).

Thanks.

Matthew

On 06/01/2016 16:44, Schaefer, Brett wrote:

> Alice,
>
> Thank you for this. The Heritage Foundation’s opposition to full GAC
> participation in the empowered community was not noted in the Rec 1
> analysis. As stated in our comment, we think that GAC should be
> strictly advisory.
>
> On Rec 7 analysis, I’m concerned that our position may be
> misunderstood. We support including DIDP in an appeals process, but we
> are very much against restricting it to the engagement, escalation,
> and enforcement staircase because that process is dependent on the
> Empowered Community. DIDP appeals need to be accessible to everyone,
> not just the SOACs, and appeals should not require SOAC approval at
> any threshold. This may require moving DIDP appeals to the request for
> reconsideration process.
>
> On Rec 11, the one sentence summary gives the impression that we
> support Rec 11. We do not and offered specific proposals on how to
> change the text to address our concerns, which were not included in
> the Rec 11 analysis.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Brett

> BrettSchaefer
> Jay Kingham Senior Research Fellow in International Regulatory Affairs
> Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom Davis Institute for National
> Security and Foreign Policy
> The Heritage Foundation
> 214 Massachusetts Avenue, NE
> Washington, DC 20002
> 202-608-6097
> heritage.org <http://heritage.org/>

Matthew Shears
Director - Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
Center for Democracy & Technology
mshears at cdt.org
+ 44 771 247 2987

---