[CCWG-ACCT] DOCUMENT - Recommendation 1 – Inspection Rights (first reading)

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Jan 7 05:11:07 UTC 2016

I tend to take an in-between position. I support
a simpler process, but one AC/SO is simply not sufficient.

In the Single Member model, it would have
required the Member to act which presumably would
have been at least a majority of the
AC/SOs.  Regardless of how that would have
worked, I note that in the legal analysis, we
find the caveat "Authority under Section 6333 is
sparse, but it is nonetheless clear that a
“purpose reasonably related to [a] person’s
interests as a member” does not include a
member’s commercial or political interests...."

To allow a single SO to take this action does
exactly that. Both the ccNSO and a near-majority
of the GNSO have clear business interests at
stake and allowing them to solely demand access
is no longer a "community" action.

Alan