[CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jan 7 23:51:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 06:21:20PM -0500, Avri Doria wrote:
> Is training people on the DNS or DNSEC in the same category as content
> censorship?

Is capacity building in the sense of training people on DNS or DNSSEC
really outside ICANN's mission, in the CCWG's proposal?  It seems to
me that that one could argue it helps the "ensure the stable and
secure operation of the Internet's unique identifier systems" realm.

If ICANN decided to get into teaching people how to deploy VoIP using
SIP, however, I'd wonder why.  Or into web administration, or perhaps
(more in line with the analogy) WordPress or Drupal administration.
And those things do seem to me to be approximately as relevant to what
ICANN is doing as content censorship: I don't think ICANN should do
either.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com