[CCWG-ACCT] "Consumer Trust" in the Mission Statement

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sat Jan 9 21:56:48 UTC 2016

Hello Malcolm,

>> Even if rephrased, I don't think I understand what is intended to be meant by "consumer trust".

It is a general term like human rights and public interest.

I think the key is that it needs to be grounded in what it means for ICANN's limited mission.

If we are talking about domain names it could be that:

- a domain name resolves deterministically to a particular resource connected to the Internet

(the implementation of DNSSEC at the root was intended to help with that)

- there is a legal person that can be contacted when there is a problem with the operation of the  domain name

(the collection and publication of contact information was intended to help with that)

What it should not be in my personal view:

- anything to do with the content of a website that might be referred to by the domain name

- anything to do with the characteristics of a legal person associated with a domain name that might be inferred from the name

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin